Are You Prepared to Rent?
In Toronto’s fast-paced market, it’s all in the details.
If you want to find out how to rent a condo in Toronto’s best buildings, being prepared is priority #1. That’s why our hyper-local approach equips clients with local insight and handy checklists along the way.
Here's what you need, and need to know, to rent downtown:
Preparing the Documents
Before you start working with an agent, you need to gather a specific selection of documents. These will ensure that you are prepared, qualified, and ready to make a move in a heartbeat.
Need to know how to rent a condo in Toronto? Here’s the foundation:
- Complete a Rental Application
- Obtain an Employment Letter (or proof of income)
- Receive a Credit Check
- Ensure you have valid Photo ID (a driver’s license or passport)
There’s no way around it: Preparation is key. Before you work with an agent or see any potential units you need to have your documents in order. They’re necessary to rent in Toronto’s fast-paced market.
Once you have the requisite documents, working with a real estate agent is your best bet. You can have unparalleled access to listings, insight into prospective buildings, and the connections to find more of what you want and need.
There’s also another selection of documents you’ll need in this phase, including:
- “Buyer Representation Agreement” form
- “Working with a Realtor” form
- “Agreement to Lease” form
- “Confirmation of Co-operation and Representation” form
Making the Move
Once you’ve found the right unit and building, it’s time to make the move and start your new life downtown. Here’s what you’ll need for move-in day and beyond:
- Post-dated cheques for rent payment
- Key/fob deposit cheque (if applicable)
- Contents and liability insurance
- Hydro services
- Cable/internet services
- Registering with property management office
- Reserving the elevator
“As newcomers to Toronto, we had so many questions and thanks to the Condo Lounge…we were guided throughout the process of renting our first apartment. We had all our questions answered and, at the end, we felt very comfortable and secure that we made an excellent deal."